Friday, June 8, 2007

May 19 - 20, Wildcat Landing, Brownsville MN

Today I looked into the heart of America, and it is generous, caring, and right here in Brownsville, Minnesota.

The first of several wonderful people I met at the Wildcat Landing campsite was Paul Bray. An ex-marine in his early forties, Paul is planning to start from Lake Itasca in September, and make his way down to the gulf of Mexico, also in a kayak. Like myself, he is an avid and enthusiastic paddler, so we hit it off right away and talked up a storm. Then John Guinne came over from his trailer and joined us. He is taking off upstream from Brownsville in his kayak later this summer. The fact that he is 'post-retirement age', and a bit on the heavy side, poses no problem to him. I have no doubt that he will make his way upriver, whatever it takes.
Later that night, after I had a shower and the tent was set up for the night, Paul came over with a cooler full of cold beer, the best homemade potato salad I've ever tasted and firewood. He even brought me a super comfortable lawn chair. Talk about luxury! It was one of those rare times in life when you meet someone purely by coincidence, and find that you have so much in common. After the beer and potato salad I was so full and mellow, I didn't even go into town for a pizza as I had planned to do earlier. The potato salad was fully loaded: pickles, bacon, egg, red onions, creamy mayonnaise and the secret ingredient: a full glass of milk.

I also met Bill Ginger earlier in the evening. Bill is a real 'Good Old Boy' and very much into fishing. He also chews tobacco - the first person I've ever met to do so. Bill can spit a mighty fine stream of tobacco juice. John later told me an interesting anecdote about Bill. He is from French-Canadian stock, and when he goes into a bar, he becomes Gilluame Gingere, and starts speaking French. Apparently the ladies really go for that kind of thing, and Bill has a lot of success in that department.

John offered to drive me into town the next morning to pick up a few supplies. He and his wife Audrey went to a Bluegrass concert in the evening.
At 6:00 am Sunday morning John walked over to my tent to invite me for breakfast in their trailer. And what a breakfast! Pancakes, eggs, sausages and fresh strawberries coated with brown sugar. I met his delightful wife Audrey, and what lovely people they both are. They are retired from long and successful careers. Both previously married, they have been together for two years and living the good life, seeing the US in their Ford F250 Heavy Duty and large fifth wheel trailer.

After breakfast, they drove me via the scenic route through Brownsville to La Crosse. They showed me all the sights, including the brewery where Audry worked as Communications Manager for 34 years. La Crosse is a fine old city of 60,000, with many stately brownstone and red brick houses and office buildings remaining in its downtown area near the river. Many have been carefully restored to their former glory. It's a very clean city, with well manicured parks and gardens. They then took me to Wal-Mart, where they waited patiently while I shopped for supplies.

We drove back to Wildcat Landing via Hokah, John's hometown. He ran the town's sewage treatment plant for several decades. It was interesting to listen to him talk about how things have changed since the fifties, when cities and factories were just pumping raw sewage and waste into the river, to where we are today, with such strict rules in place that recycled water pumped back into the river is actually cleaner than the river water. He can remember a time in the fifties and sixties, when the river was so polluted that there were 'dead zones' in places where bacteria overgrowth depleted all the oxygen from the water, snuffing out all life in the zone. If I understand this correctly, normal levels of bacterial activity play a crucial role in cleaning pollutants, both man-made and natural, from the river. But if levels of contamination reach very high levels, the bacteria try to cope with their workload by multiplying too fast, and they end up becoming contaminants themselves.

The road took us up to the Ridge, where the 'Ridge People' live. They are said to be different from the 'Bluff People' who live below in the river valley. We drove through some of the most beautiful farm country I've seen in a long time. Rolling, wooded hills, lush creeks, green meadows and neatly restored old farm houses and barns.

Paddling on the 19th was tough and slow-going. I started from mile 711, just below Lock and Dam # 6, in the Trempeleau Lakes Wildlife Area. The wind was coming from the SE at 15 mph, and I had to work really hard for every mile of progress I made. It took all I had in me just to make 3 mph. The scenery was nice though, with the Wildlife Area to the East, and the Great River Bluffs State Park to the West. Being the weekend, there were a great many power boats out on the river. As I approached La Crosse, it became a real traffic jam. So in addition to the wind, which wasn't letting up for a minute, I had almost constant powerboat wake to contend with. Most of the powerboats stay in the main channel, but closer to La Crosse the jet ski and powered bathtub crowd were everywhere and coming at me from all directions, cutting across my bow a few times. La Crosse didn't look too inviting from the river. In the city park across from the downtown area, there were a small group of the biker gang/drug dealer/pimp crowd hanging out near the river bank, doing or not doing whatever it is they do. One of the girls, who looked far too young for that kind of company, was quite friendly, and asked where I was heading. I took one look at the tough dude leaning on his motorcycle and staring at me, so I just mumbled something and paddled faster. La Crosse is of course a fine city, as I found out the next day on my tour with the Guinnes.

Fortunately for me, only the 'serious' weekend boaters - pontoons, houseboats and the bass fisherman - seem to venture more than two miles or so from the city. The other boaters stay near the city marinas, where they can show off their toys, make noise and annoy more people. It amazes me that so few people get killed in boating accidents on the Mississippi. It's like letting a bunch of 14-year olds loose on a busy highway after 10 minutes of driving instruction. Life jackets are as scarce as people smoking in public buildings in Canada. The most hairbrained thing I saw so far was a guy pulling a kid on a tube, right into the path of an approaching barge. If that kid had fallen off the tube, there wouldn't have been nearly enough time to pick him up before the barge went right over him. Maybe the guy doesn't like the kid; perhaps it's not his, but still.....

Bass fishing is an interesting business. The more serious bass fishermen have these sleek, flat boats with ridiculously large outboard engines, and paint jobs straight out of a custom bike shop. They have names like 'Nitro', and 'Blazer' and they go like greased lightning. Now it may well be that bass are very fast or dangerous; maybe both, but somehow I suspect that the boats have more to do with outrunning and out-impressing their fellow fishermen, and the power of TV fishing shows/commercials.

There were six police boats spread out across the river about four miles below La Crosse. They were obviously looking for something or someone. I learned from John Guinne the next day that four members of a Hmong family (mom, dad, two young kids) had drowned below Dam 6 a few days earlier. They were in a small fishing boat. The anchor line got wrapped around the propeller shaft, and when their boat drifted too close to the dam, they couldn't get the engine started, and they got pulled under by the strong current caused by the overflow at the dam.

The going has been tough almost every day so far. Having said that, I'm still enjoying myself. I suppose you can call me a pathalogical optimist. I'm still averaging 25 miles a day, in spite of the strong winds and two rest days.

The reason I'm not out paddling today is that northwest wind again. It's blowing at 15-25 mph, and the next leg of my route crosses yet another large lake. Tomorrow's forecast is for a southerly wind at 10-15 mph, which is slower going, but much safer.

Another reason: it's a good opportunity to get some writing done. John and Audrey will give me a ride to the Barnes & Noble in Onalaska, so hopefully I can update my blog and gallery, and check my e-mail. (note: I managed to post two blog entries and 45 photos to my gallery before the bookstore closed at 9 pm).

The campground at Wildcat Landing is the cleanest and neatest I've ever visited. The showers and bathrooms are cleaner than most kitchens I've seen.

An idea is beginning to form in my mind that kayaking the Mississippi is an analogy for how I want to live my life: travel light, don't quit, discover your strengths, manage your weaknesses, never panic - that kind of thing. More on this later, as the idea germinates.

And now...a political observation: All the people I met around Brownsville are as conservative as they come: church-goers, gun-owners, they drive full-size trucks and have probably voted Republican for generations. Yet even here I found a strong and freely expressed dislike, resentment even, for George Bush the younger. They dismiss him as an oil man, who only looks after big corporate interests. We never talked about Iraq, but that too was implied in some of their comments.

For traditional conservatives, it has always been about values; neo-conservatism is based on ideology, even when it is dressed up and wrapped in the flag. Values have always outlived ideology, and it will be no different this time.

No comments: